Monday, November 22, 2010

A Visit from the Senator

Today 7th Grade students had the privilege of hearing Senator Margaret Whipple speak about her journey through public office. She delivered a very important message to the students that she says she learned early in her career. "Be prepared to lose!" Senator Whipple said she gives this advice to everyone who is looking to get into public office. While it may seem up front, what a message. She told the story of her loss in her first campaign. But then illustrated how it helped her do a much better job the next time around. What great advice. I remember the first time I was teaching a lesson - so many things I forgot to say or do with the students that I caught the second time around. I think this gives us a great idea to reflect on - when we don't get our intended outcome, how do we bounce back and do it better?